[APD] Re: CO2 Needle Valve -- or - Rolling down reasons forsolenoids

Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> Just one question - how do people make big water changes? What do
> you do
> with 30 gallons of water when you're trying to warm it up? Do you
> need two
> buckets so you can empty and refill, and does the drop in water
> level (and
> thus turning off of all pumps and heaters) during changes not
> matter? Any
> advice for the experience-challenged but happily researching newbie?
<snip>

1-2 kettles full of boiled water per 20L of cold water gets my change water close enough to 25C. Other use hot water from tap, but I wouldn't recommend this (for human consumption as well as water changes!)

I empty into a watering can which goes on the garden and pour in new water with a bucket. Not very efficient though. I'm thinking of getting a long hose to siphon straight onto the garden and then possibly pumping new water back in from a reservoir with a submerisble pump. Maybe one day.

The fish don't seem to care that the tank is half full.

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia