[APD] RE: glowfish banned

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:33:11 -0000, Beek, Graham <Graham_Beek at ds-s.com> wrote:

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003, Andrew McLeod wrote:

Surely this is true of most species kept in aquariums? This makes us (except me, I only have goldfish yet) all guilty of potentially invading our natural ecosystems with invasive species?

Whoa! Not so fast on the innocence! :-)

Goldfish released into lakes are interbreeding with our native crucians.
Have a look at this...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=99

Graham

I don't think it's limited to the Crucian Carp, either.
I heard goldfish could breed (accidentally) with Koi, and make super-tough 'comet-koi' hybrids that are virtually unkillable, and grow really huge (for koi). Maybe something like this caused the Loch Ness Monster? (Is it a whale - is it a sea serpent - no, its a salmon/neon hybrid, and its coming this way! Arrgh... (and I know neon and salmon couldn't breed (probably)))

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk