[APD] Re: glowfish banned --- rights, yours, mine, and ours

Well said!  (Applause)

I am always more interested in hearing from people who talk about rights for
others including themselves than people who talk about rights for
themselves, damn everyone else.

Ann Viverette, spending way too much time picking up after other people's
lawlessness already -- vandals trashed the school pond... again.

> Message: 10
> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:32:16 -0700
> From: "Justin Collins" <jucollin at du_edu>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Re: glowfish banned
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> To me, that suggests that the individual is the lowest form of
organization.
> People acting without organization exist strictly in a state of anarchy,
> with every person being for themselves.  Surely you wouldn't advocate
that,
> say, your family be hurt in some way because you didn't value the
> organization that is family structure.  We aren't given "rights"
> automatically, nor do we deserve them.  We earn them by being a law
abiding,
> productive member of our given society.  I may be an individual, but
unless
> I'm willing to live in the woods with no protection or aid from anyone
else,
> I don't deserve free reign to do whatever I want.  The point at which I
get
> protection from police and the military, drive on roads, use publicly
owned
> space, operate on the public power grid etc., I have a responsibility to
> abide by laws (and suffer the consequences of breaking them), and I
tacitly
> form an agreement by opting to be a member of society.  To say "I should
get
> to do whatever I want, because I live in America, the land of the free and
> have rights!" is, in the end, damaging to the organization (the USA)
you've