[APD] Re: glowfish banned --- rights, yours, mine, and ours

Well said!  (Applause)

I am always more interested in hearing from people who talk about rights for
others including themselves than people who talk about rights for
themselves, damn everyone else.

Ann Viverette, spending way too much time picking up after other people's
lawlessness already -- vandals trashed the school pond... again.

> Message: 10
> Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:32:16 -0700
> From: "Justin Collins" <jucollin at du_edu>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Re: glowfish banned
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> To me, that suggests that the individual is the lowest form of
> People acting without organization exist strictly in a state of anarchy,
> with every person being for themselves.  Surely you wouldn't advocate
> say, your family be hurt in some way because you didn't value the
> organization that is family structure.  We aren't given "rights"
> automatically, nor do we deserve them.  We earn them by being a law
> productive member of our given society.  I may be an individual, but
> I'm willing to live in the woods with no protection or aid from anyone
> I don't deserve free reign to do whatever I want.  The point at which I
> protection from police and the military, drive on roads, use publicly
> space, operate on the public power grid etc., I have a responsibility to
> abide by laws (and suffer the consequences of breaking them), and I
> form an agreement by opting to be a member of society.  To say "I should
> to do whatever I want, because I live in America, the land of the free and
> have rights!" is, in the end, damaging to the organization (the USA)
> chosen to belong to.  I am, to a point, willing to give up liberty for
> safety, as I don't really want to have to worry about the gangs in my
> neighborhood (I live in a less desirable part of Denver) breaking down my
> door without consequence.  I don't feel that this makes me any less
> deserving of the liberty I work to support, or of the safety I earn.
> Justin Collins

Aquatic-Plants mailing list
Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com