Re: [APD] Light intensity and internodal length

At 04:46 AM 12/8/2003, you wrote:
The first thing to do is figure out how much light you have. We know you have 60 watts but how many watts per gallon is that? You really should be shooting for at least 2.5 watts per gallon. Also the aluminum foil is a very poor reflector. You would be better off with flat white paint. The other option is to go to www.ahsupply.com and get a lighting kit. Their reflectors are hard to beat. As for the roots it happens. The reason you never see them in pictures is the same reason gone to seed movie actors never look their age. Lots and lots of preparation and time.

Hello all!

I have bunches of Wisteria and pennywort in my 3' tanks w/ 2X30W fluoro lighting (PowerGlo & AquaGlo), but the internodal distances are pretty large and also both put out a lot of the fine hairy roots from their nodes. What I am shooting for is nice dense plants without too many stem roots, not the scraggly looking things I have now. Would a 3rd bulb help? Or maybe I should get a real reflector instead of my home-job Al foil... Is low light or a nutrient deficiency a cause of excess node roots in stem plants? I never see any on the pictures of aquariums online...
Thanks for the advice,
- Seweryn