[APD] Re: CO2 + marine plants

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:01:06 EST
From: Timchiro at aol_com
Subject: [APD] Re: Marine Planted Tank
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

"The Marine plant fest sounds
like a very interesting trip to say the least, but being from the Northeast, it
still becomes an expensive endeavor."

Heck you want to go only for collecting the plants:)??
Gee, I figured snorkeling coral reefs on some nice sunny island sounded pretty good too:)
I suppose there are worse things to do, the plants are just icing on the cake.
Even if you don't collect/take a single plant, it's still pretty fun.

" Some species have been tuff to even
keep alive, never mind propagated them. I have found that CO2 additions greatly
improves plant growth."

What levels of CO2 are you using? I've thought about it but I'd like not to use it if I can, but it might work well, Chara, snail shells etc respond well to high CO2 levels even with all the CaCO3 present in them.

With all the aragonite substrate, not dosing Kalk/CaCl2 and just roasting the tank with enough CO2 to dissolve that without going overboard might be nice, I'm leary of one's tank being the mild Kalk reactor. But I guess is should work if you keep tabs on the pH.

Also the pH is relatively more important to some marine system, not tidepool plants etc, but other's it might.
I'm not going to assume they are like FW plants in that area. But the plants can handle harsher conditions than reefs etc are exposed to, so they might be fine.

Ulva and a few other algae are fine with CO2.
It might be interesting to try.
I might try a 10 gal and see how that fairs with CO2. I think I don't mind that risk:) The whole is not going to be risked, I've already done enough of that for now. Well, now I have somewhere to put those cuttings.

Dammit, "another" plant tank:)

 "There is little to no information out there on how to go
about doing this kind of setup, therefore, I agree that a Marine plants
digest type of thing fits the bill. I think you will find this type of tank seen
more often in the future."

Yes, but there is a good deal of learning coming everyone's way.
So it might be like the old days of the APD. Just saltier.

"Just my 2 cents.
Tim"

Regards,
Tom Barr