[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19

> Date: Sat,  6 Dec 2003 21:03:24 +0100 (CET)
> From: Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Re: glowfish banned
> <cut>
> >I would be very surprised to see *any* fish survive a trip through the
> >sewer system. Even if the fish could survive the very, very hostile
> >environment in the piping (black water in sewer lines is _not_ good for
> >anything besides some strains of bacteria), the treatment plant at the
end
> >would finish it off. In order for a fish to be released into a wild
> >population it would need to be placed in a stream, lake, pond, or other
> >natural waterway, which unfortunately does happen occasionally.
>
> Not all sewers lead to treatment plants, at least in Britain (although the
practice is decreasing). Some drains lead directly into the sea, and to be
honest I don't know what a storm drain is but I'm sure someone mentioned
them in an earlier post?

Most US cities have two seperate systems.  Sanitary sewer for waste and
storm sewers/drains to handle  storm water.   Some cities in the SW just
have sanitary sewers, as storm drains would have to be huge....... Carlsbad,
NM being one, just build streets running toward the nearest river (in
Carlsbad ... the Pecos River) 12-18" lower so the torrential rains just turn
the street into streams and heads down the streets into the river.

Bob