[APD] Re:pH and CO2 questions

Here are my final coments on this issue =)
A. regardless of the reletive amount of CO2 as free C02 or as H2CO3
(carbonic acid) the ratio of the two remains the same, therefore we can
equate CO2 and H2CO3 for the purposes of the henderson-hasselbach
equation aka for calculating the equillibrium btw. C02 and HCO3-
(bicarbonate).

B. I aggree with Andrew. just substitue "free CO2" for "carbonic acid"
(because of point A above) therefore at a low KH/pH more of the CO2 you
inject will be free CO2 because less will be converted to bicarbonate.

basically every molecule of CO2 that is used to reduce the pH is
wasted/converted to bicarbonate.
If your water has a low KH and is already at, for example, pH 6.35 most
of the CO2 you inject will remain as free CO2  (because of the
equillibrium point btw CO2 and HCO3- is pH 6.35).

If you start with a pH of 7.5 and aim to reduce it to pH6.8, all the
Hydrogens used to drop the pH from 7.5 to 6.8 came from "wasted" CO2
molecules.

So If you are concerned about every molecule of CO you input into the
system (which is not the case if you use a CO2 tank) a lower KH will
help.

Feel free to correct me at will, I am not an expert on this matter by
any means, but this should be true according to my basic understanding
of buffering systems. I could elaborate on all the above points, but I
don't think that anyone really cares that much =).

Tarah Nyberg
in crisp but not cold Dallas...*sigh*

Unless I misread Paul Sears Article in TAG a few issues
ago, only about one part in 2000 of CO2 goes to carbonic
acid.

Scott H.
--- Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> I didn't think the level of carbonates affected pH, which
> depends only on
> H+ ions.
> Wouldn't decreasing the KH reduce the amount of carbonic
> acid absorbed
> into hydrogen carbonates to form bicarbonates? Thereby
> increasing the
> fraction of CO2 left dissolved as carbonic acid and so
> available to the
> plants?

=====
S. Hieber