[APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 4, Issue 10

Dave,

I did keep my substrate, water AND filter media. So this is very strange to
me having this type of bacteria.  Could it have been the LARGE amounts of
water changes I performed a few weeks before the plants came in? (Four in
all, 50% or better)  I had hundreds of tiny snails that accumulated over the
years and I had to add snailacide.  That was the reason for the big water
changes over many weeks.  Had to be sure all the snailacide was completely
gone.  I also did two filter (Fluval 303) cleanings as well, rinsing off the
sponges and bio balls with cool running water. I let the tank sit 2 full
weeks before adding plants and LOTS of them!  :)  Scott mentioned in another
post, maybe I am seeing the effects of "Tank-Cycling" with all the
maintenance including the huge water changes I made.  I did not like the
words "doomed" he used though! hehe  I'll hold off on the UV for a bit and
keep feeding the plants with Co2, nutrients, and water changes.

Speaking if UV lighting...Since the UV actually kills off the micro
bacteria, what adverse effects (if any) does UV have on plants?? (Kill of
any good micro bacteria??)  I never had to use any type of UV lighting
before so sorry for the naiveness.  The one I will have shortly hooks into
my out-take tube of my Fluval. It's basically looks like another canister
filter with a built in light.

My BIG question is.....What will 50% water changes do every other day to
help clear this bacteria up?  If I keep feeding my plants the nutrients they
need, is too many water changes a bad thing because of nutrient build up??
Too much of a good thing??

Thanks again Dave (and Scott), I look forward to further advice and insight
on these issues from others as well!

Victor Di Cosola

Message: 4