[APD] Re: glowfish banned

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:57:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Hind <cixcell at yahoo_com>
Subject: [APD] glowfish banned in california - this sucks
To: MASLAC at yahoogroups_com, aquatic-plants at actwin_com

I have no problems with anything genetically
engineered. This is ridiculous.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/12/04/fluorescent.fish.ap/index.html

This article doesn't say it, but it was my understanding that the 'makers' of these fish sterilized all the fish before allowing them out of their facility, making the argument about these fish inbreeding with local populations obsolete. Was it only the original Singapore maker that was sterilizing the fish, and not the US people? I can understand concerns if the fish could breed with local fish; I have no problem with the genetic engineering aspect, just that the inbreeding could change the existing populations as any addition of a new, non-native fish could.

Laura