[APD] Re: How much light?

S. Hieber opines:
>I don't think the wpg depends on the tank volume -- tank
> height yes, to some extent, but not volume.

Well, I would have to disagree. The "g" part of wpg is actually a volume.

A rule of thumb like wpg would be difficult to apply to tank height. As in
"How many gallons are there if the tank is 22" high?"

S. Hieber suggests:
>Rules of thumb only:
>up to 1.5-2 = low; 2 moderate; 3-4 high; above 4 specialty

Not all thumbs are created equal. My thumb sez:

below 1.5 wpg = low;
1.5 to 2.5 wpg = as much as you will ever need;
2.5 to 3.5 wpg = inappropriately high;
above 3.5 wpg = extreme, unless you are growing banned botanicals around
the base of your tank

Of course, this is for fluorescent bulbs that don't suck. If you insist on
using sucky fluorescnt bulbs, I would go with Scott's thumb.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
 The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
   http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/  (mirror)
   http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/