[APD] Re: Marine plant tank

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:48:38 -0500
"From: "Chad Sutton" <chadsutton at tampabay_rr.com>
Subject: [APD] Marine Plants Rock
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

I am fascinated by this!!!  And I wish to give it a try with a new tank
sometime next year.  Do you have any publications or notes on how to begin
this process concerning tanks, filters, lighting, etc?  I've just recently
moved to the Tampa-St.Pete area so I'm not real far away from the Key Largo
area (a long drive but can be done in a day).  I really want to give this a
try.

CS"
From: Thomas  Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
Subject: [APD] Marine algae balls and turfs

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2810752&uid=1473668&membe
rs=1

Chad, little is written as far as I can tell in aquarium culturing except for specific species for lab study.
No one keeps marine planted tanks really except unless their Caulerpa got out of hand in a main tank etc.
Juilian Sprung has a Mangrove weed tank with some soft bottom plants, but generally folks do not take it the the level I had in mind.

Few today consider a marine plant tank as a main tank or a genre in and of itself.
This will change.

We are out in the cold and learning just like 20 years ago with FW plants.
Most everything you will see will refer to keeping the plants in a refugium, not alone in the main tank. There are big differences between these two methods and approaches.

Lots of Light, lots of Current, lots of Ca, less KNO3 than planted tanks as a rule, iron dosing, DBS's 10cm or deeper, other tricks that you will only learn as you gain experience.

The failure rate will be high, at least today.
Perhaps later it will not be so tough.

Regards,
Tom Barr