[APD] Re: PH and CO2 questions

Hello Dale,
I agree with a previous statements about "PH down" not affecting you
CO2 level.
However I wanted to point out an alternative method to solve the same
problem.
One is of course to add another DIY CO2 bottle/ make your CO2 more
effiecient/get a CO2 gas tank etc..
However, In order to reduce the net amout of CO2 that you need for you
plants you can also reduce the KH. at a KH of 2-3, (36-50ppm) you will
need much less CO2 to keep your plants happy. I don't have the chart
handy, but this should be evident from the chart.
seeing that your KH is not that high anyway you are probably are going
to have to increase the CO2  no matter what.
(Of course a CO2 system is comparable in price to an RO, so really why
bother with KH reduction)
But I though I would just throw it out there that increasing CO2 and
decreasing KH are both legitamate. Naturally too little buffering
capacity is like playing with fire, but I have kept my KH btw. 1.5 and 3
( and used DIY CO2) for years and not had any fish deaths due to radical
pH drops.

Tarah Nyberg

IN responsed to:
I am going to try the "Barr Method" and have all the nutrients in
place.
Howerver, my CO2 (DIY) appears to be my limiting factor.
GH = 110 mg/l
KH =  70 mg/l
PH = 7.4-7.5  (City water analysis - test kit also measures 7.4)

Using PH and KH chart my CO2 is approx. 5ppm. From the charts I would
have to get a PH of 7.0 to get 12ppm.
I have some PH Down by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.

1. Is there any problems using this product?
2. If I  lower the PH to 7.0, (is this low enough), will it stay
around
7.0 until the next water change or will it vary up or down (other than
the morning and evening readings)?
3. With a 50% weekly water change using PH 7.4 tap water, will the
resulting tank PH be 7.2 requiring only a 0.2 PH adjustment to get
back
to 7.0?

Thanks for your advice.
Dale