Re: [APD] aquarium stand level

Generally, the carpeting and paddin aren't thicker but if
you within about a 1.5" of the wall, you could be sitting
on the wooden tack-strip that holds the carpet in place.

Btw, another advantage of using a deck of playing cards is
the they're usually coated to make them slick, so they
slide into place nice and easy ;-)

Scott H.

--- Christina Marie Thompson <cmthmpsn at mindspring_com>
wrote:
>     If your tank stand is on carpeting, this creates an
> additional
> problem in leveling it. In my apartments, I have noticed
> that all the
> furniture leans away from the wall, as if the carpeting
> is thicker near
> the wall. I end up putting shims under the front edge of
> nearly all my
> furniture. I just cut up a corrugated cardboard box
> packing box when I
> move in and slide pieces of it under the front edge of
> the furniture
> until it is more or less level. This works well for most
> furniture, but
> those which will have a significantly higher weight when
> loaded, like
> tall bookcases and fish tanks, have the additional
> problems. When
> they're full, the additional weight compresses the
> carpeting and shims,
> at different rates, until they are once more unlevel. I
> can't over-level
> them when they're empty because I want them against the
> wall, and they
> can't lean into the wall. So, I level them as best I can
> empty, them
> fill them. Then I have a couple of strong friends help me
> lift the front
> edge while I get down on the floor and put my shoulder
> under it and
> slide a few more pieces of cardboard under it.
>

> --
> Though lovers be lost love shall not;
> And death shall have no dominion.
> 		--Dylan Thomas