[APD] Biological filtration

Besides fertilizer I have had success in all my years of keeping aquarium fish (~15 years) not using any chemicals for treatment. I found to clean the filter, rinse sponge and ceramic materials only with "clean" aquarium water. Ehime canisters and their use of the floss material initially presented a challenge to me, but over the last year or so I've learned to just to completely repalce it when the filter is cleaned. This material is practically free from a material supply shop vs LFS. I figure if it's hypoallergenic then it's safe enough for my fish. *smile*. It can also be found at Walmart in the crafts section fairly cheap.

If I vacuum and clean the filter out at the same time, then I do fall back on a cap or two of CYCLE directly back into the canister filter before sealing it back up and filling with aquarium water. Regardless it's generally a good to leave a week between cleaning the canister and a vacuum of the gravel.

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:37:20 -0600
From: "AZ Burns" <aerburns at hotmail_com>
Subject: Re: [APD] An observation
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

The plant guru at my LFS recomends a fluidized sand filter for plants tanks. He has one of his 75 at home because it is very simple to maintain, and handles any nitrate spikes quickly. He says other bio-filters caused him problems when he cleaned them since they would loose some bio filtration capacity. He usually would get an algae breakout after cleaning out his canister filters while they were recovering.

I know he has a high fish load and feeds pretty heavily. How much bio-filtration you need probably depends on how much bio load you have, in a planted tank or in a non planted tank. Sand filters work for him, W/D work for you, some people have no bio-filters. Maybe bio-load is the factor to look at closely in deciding what sort of bio-filter to use.

AZ Burns