[APD] Hemianthus micranthemoides & Limnophila Sessiflora problems

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has any hints on how to grow Hemianthus
micranthemoides. I've had some for about two weeks and initially it didn't
look too bad, but then it all started turning brown and has basically
disintegrated. The stems are so delicate and I tried to be very careful, but
I think they got kinked when pushing the bunch into the sand. All of my
other stem plants have sprouted hair roots, but these haven't (hadn't!). Are
they supposed to?
Also, I have some Dwarf Ambulia (Limnophila Sessiflora) which when bought
was quite tough and tightly curled, it's now raced to the water surface
(12"), is soft and could be classed as "leggy". Presumably this is
insufficent light (I have two T8s with reflectors, which I thought would be
enough with only 12" of water column). If this is the case, how can a
planted aquarium be "light limited"?
Graham
PS: I don't use C02 (definitely 'low tech").