Re: [APD] Re: gardening without plants

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Stephan Mifsud wrote:

> I've seen the beautiful entries in this year's contest set
> up by the Aquatic Gardener's Association. The Biotype
> section was a bit confusing. The winning entry although
> undoubtedly the best looking entry in the section, does not
> contain a single plant. There is nothing in the rules that
> says that an aquascape should contain plants, but isn't that
> defeating the basic concept of an aquatic gardener and what
> most of us are trying to achieve?

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the winning aquascape in the
biotope category included appropriate plants (i.e. a mangrove in this
case), it would have been even better.  In that sense, the entries without
plants may be handicapped in the contest.

Another case in point: the contest includes an "artificial" category for
tanks specifically without natural decor, and nobody has entered this
category since the first year.  This got a rousing round of applause at
the awards ceremony last Saturday.

But you've pretty much touched on it.  Though it is sponsored by the
aquatic gardeners association, and clearly the most represenated tanks
have lots of plants, there is no rule that says there needs to be plants.
It's an aquascaping contest, not a plant contest.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com