[APD] Re: Madagascar lace plant

There has been a lot of speculation over the years about the dormant period
allegedly required by lace plants. Presently, I don't know anybody
propagating & growing lace plants successfully who does this. Perhaps there
are some but certainly it is not important given that many of us do not use
a dormant cycle. I have propagated the plant from seed & I have several
young plants growing.

This Aponogeton will use energy stored in the rhizome for about 6 months
until it is exhausted unless you are providing sufficient nutrients, in
particular nitrogen. In my experience, you MUST maintain a sufficient supply
of N in the water to be successful with this plant long term. Without
sufficient N, the plant will simply stop producing large new leaves.

I don't think we have sufficient evidence (or I don't know of it), to
suggest conclusively that tropical temperatures are detrimental to the MLP.
I recall keeping the plant at tropical temperatures many years back. It grew
well in a substrate containing earth worm castings until I tried to move it
to another tank. I suspect that this (low temp) may be another red herring.
Richard Sexton has had considerable success with the MLP; Richard, what
temps were the water in your outdoor & indoor tanks?

Steve P