[APD] Re: Madagascar Lace Plant

In a message dated 11/15/03 10:37:32 AM Central Standard Time,
aquatic-plants-request at actwin_com writes:

> Gerry Skau asks "What's the ideal temperature for them?"
>
> I currently don't believe that temperature is an important factor for Lace
> plants, although at one time I had certainly wondered about it. For me, the
> missing factor was in providing an abundance of nitrogen to support the
> rapid growth habit of this plant. Other nutrients must, of course, be
> sufficient. If you have a lace plant which is alive but not putting out many
> new leaves or only very small ones, it might be that you need to boost the
> N. Once you supply enough N, you'll probably find that growth is rapid until
> some other nutrient becomes in short supply! :-)
>
> They say that Lace plants prefer a cool water temperature. I don't have any
> evidence to support or counter that. My lace plants live at about 70F which
> is a little on the cool side of tropical.
>
> Steve P

Thanks, Steve. The reason I ask is I have one I got from Robert (thanks
Robert!). It's putting out leaves regularly, it has 3, but they also seem to be
dying on a regular basis (3 have died). I did lose one previously in this tank
that got direct morning sun (someone said they don't like that), this one is on
the other side of the tank, the sun doesn't quite make it there. I'll try
goosing the nitrogen. I also have mine at about 76, I'll drop it down a bit.
Thanks again.

                       Gerry Skau
                       "He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder