Re: [APD] Re: Lighting

There were certainly a lot of exhibitors listed for
Aquarama 2003. Don't know which one made you lamp so I
couldn't find any specific info on it.

Some more general comments regarding your post:
With a hood that more or less enclosed sitting over an
aquarium, especially if the aquarium has a glass top under
the lamp, it's hard for the lamp to vent the heat than it
is for a reading lamp that sits out in the open. Also,
different bulbs and lamp combinations can have different
heat characteristics depending on the bulb and ballast as
well as the how well venting is designed into the hood. I
have two aquarium hoods using 13 watt fluorescent bulbs and
reading light using the same.  The aquarium hoods get
hotter than the reading light and one hood hotter than the
other even though the same model bulb and ballast are used
in each. The cooler hood simpoly has better air flow.

If the lamp is not becoming so hot you cannot touch it,
then I would guess (and it's only a guess) that it's
operating as designed. In any event, raising it might make
a big difference and should be relatively easy to try.
Sometimes, even propping up the rear of the lamp a few
millimeters can help because it allows cool air to enter at
the bottom of the lamp and then pass over the bulb and out
through the vents in the lamp. But generally, this is
effective only with lamps that don't already have some
venting in the design that allows cooler room air to enter
near the bottom of the lamp.

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.