[APD] RE: Surface algae cont.

> Jeff Ludwig wrote:
>
> >>This also has been my experience.  I've even
> tried a blackout to get rid
> of
> it, didn't work.  When I manually remove it with
> a paper towel, it congeals
> again in hours!  My next attempt will be making a
> surface skimming box out
> of PMMA, putting the suction side of a powerhead
> on the bottom of this box
> and running it through a hang-on-tank UV.  It has
> really been blocking a lot
> of light! <<
>
> It might very well work, but it sounds like a lot
> more work than just
> running a powerhead on the surface!
>
> Karen

A very minimal ripple should eliminate the problem.  I have
used this approach with adequate results.  Or, adding one or
two black mollies to your tank *will* eliminate the problem.
One of my LFS will let me buy them and return later.  Two
black mollies cleaned up a recent serious surface scum
problem within a few hours in a 75 gal tank.

Jay Reeves