[APD] Re: Wet/Dry Filtration

I'm not sure who started the thread, but to answer your question; yes, it's entirely possible to use a Wet/Dry in a planted tank. Scott's link to George's website is the best statistical info you'll find on CO2 and Wet/Drys, I highly recommend reading it.

That link again is: www.aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com

I've been using W/D for my 90g for over a year in one form or another. At first I made one like Tom did, out of a rubbermaid container and a 20 long aquarium. The biotower worked well, but my CO2 injection system was pretty crude (tube right into the main pump) and I chose to upgrade when I moved.

Wet/Dry in a planted tank. Scott's link to George's website is the best statistical info you'll find on CO2 and Wet/Drys, I highly recommend reading it.

That link again is: www.aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com

I've been using W/D for my 90g for over a year in one form or another. At first I made one like Tom did, out of a rubbermaid container and a 20 long aquarium. The biotower worked well, but my CO2 injection system was pretty crude (tube right into the main pump) and I chose to upgrade when I moved.

After the move I drilled a few holes and added a few glass panes to the 20L and was able to make a self contained W/D that I could cover with glass. A few pieces of duct tape around the edges created a sealed filter.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/carolinaaquasys/Main-Sump.jpg

If you look carefully at the top of the bulkhead you can see an air bubble. I found out, much to my dismay, that a lot of air gets sucked down into a W/D along with the water so I had to make a standpipe/gas diverter to minimize agitation. Which brings be to your question/comment regarding injecting O2 into your sump there's no need. Due to the nature of an overflow and drainage it's impossible to maintain a syphon without it drawing air as well. There has to be a flow of air into and out the system as well for the water to drain into the sump. That suction intrinsically brings O2 into the sump system. It's also important to consider that water in a healthy planted tank is going to be high in dissolved O2 as well and that our plants really are our main biological filtration.

Best,

Phil Edwards
Charlotte, NC