[APD] Re: Wet Dry Filtration in a Planted Aquarium?

Well, if the plants are growing well, the water coming into the filter will be saturated with oxygen (and the O2 *needs* to be dissolved for the bacteria to be able to utilise it). But the limiting nutrient for the bacterial population size would be ammonia anyway, not oxygen. In fact for any sort of biological filter, theoretically, oxygen and surface area for bacterial attachment only need to be in slight excess of the ammonia supply for the filter to function effectively. The extra surface area and oxygen offered by a conventional wet-dry just adds extra redundancy to the system. Of course if you continually increase your bioload (gradually), you increase ammonia supply, and eventually either oxygen or surface area will be the limiting factor and you end up with accumulation of detectable levels of ammonia and/or nitrite. However, it gets more complicated in a planted tank cause plants use up the ammonia as well.

So in a CO2-injected planted tank, a wet-dry may not offer the same benefits as in a fish only tank, the extra biological filtration capacity is probably not needed anyway. High fish loads would probably result in severe algae outbreak long before ammonia accumulation became a problem. But they do have other benefits (hiding equipment etc) which a lot of people like. As for sealing them, well I don't think lack of gas transfer with the air would be a major problem for a plant tank. At the end of the day it comes down to the opinion of the individual aquarist. CO2 gas is cheap, but having to refil regularly can be annoying so sealing the wet-dry can be an attractive option to some.

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia