RE: [APD] Re: Ammo Lock and Ammonia Tests

Wright:

It turns out that the kit I'm using is a salicylate reagent product
(Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). It however indicts that it tests for both NH3
and NH4. It also indicates that "Ammonia test kits will still test positive
for ammonia..." even when Ammo Lock is used. I suspect the ammonia is all
in the NH4 form or as you say the fish would be dead or totally stressed.
It may be that I will just have to wait for the NH4 to be processed through
the bio-filter.
Phil Bunch

On Saturday, October 25, 2003 10:31, Wright Huntley
[SMTP:whuntley at verizon_net] wrote:
>AFAIK, none of the modern chloramine "removers" can be used with any
Nesler's-reagent ammonia test. All will give false positives, I think.
[See the "Amquel" literature for details.]

Try the same test using a salycilate ammonium test and see if
ammonia/ammonium isn't below detectable levels.

2ppm of ammonia is deadly to nearly any fish. Just be sure your pH is
low until you have an answer, so most of it is as NH4, if it is really
there. [I suspect it isn't.]

A small side issue: Nesler-reagent tests are not nearly sensitive enough
to tell you when potentially lethal amounts of ammonia (0.01 ppm) are
present, but they are a particularly nasty environmental hazard. Don't
throw that mercury compound down the drain, but dispose of it properly
at your local recycling center. OK?