[APD] choices: Eheims

Well, with all the Eheim talk....
I am finally resetting my planted aquarium up after a couple years of sheer
laziness(it was set up from '89 to '01). I had a Wet/dry setup before but
the problem is noise( Iwaki pumps are supposed to be quiet....hmm...my
definition of quiet and theirs are different...) from pumps, overflows and
the filters combined with having a non-aquarist spouse.
There is a issue of space, my wet/dry will not fit in the cabinet(and it is
in the living room).
I have been looking at the Eheim 2026 (it will fit in the cabinet) and my
aquarium is 100 US gal. The rest of the equipment is Dupla (undergravel
heater, CO2 etc).

Any advice, comments on whether to use the larger,2028, is the Ehein skimmer
worth it?( or just a PITA..first word:pain).
I would prefer to use the wet/dry but I need a house!

Thanks...
William Lynn