Re: [APD] Re: Bacterial Bloom

Rachel-
It's been about a week and a half since it has started, and so far it is still going strong (can't see the other side of my tank width ways). I am plonking in extra dormant nitifying bactetrial solution just as a helpful boost. One strange thing is in my DIY yeast reactor (only 3/4 filled to prevent spillover into tank) the liquid itself which is white has taken one a hue of pink. A culture of my tank water only brought up one species growing, and it is a whitish mucoid foul-smelling type of bacteria. Interesting...

- Seweryn

From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
Subject: [APD] Re: Bacterial Bloom
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:26:05 -0700

I know nothing about diatoms or their earth, but I did have a question about Seweryn's bacterial bloom. I may have missed this but I was wondering how long has it been going on? The only reason I ask is that it seems to me that the tank is fairly young (about 4 months, I thought he said?) and sometimes in a young tank the best cure for some things is patience and time, and a bacterial bloom might be one of those things. I know it is unpleasant to look at but sometimes just giving it a week or two can solve the problem without spending lots of time and money.

I may be totally wrong, and if so I apologize, and I hope I haven't offended anyone. I do keep aquatic plants but have only been doing it for about two years.

Rachel