[APD] re: UV Sterilizer

Regarding UV sterilizers....I have one on my tank....but wonder how useful it really is in a planted tank as I read in several places and postings that UV will inactivate Fe and other nutrients in planted tank. Whats peoples experience with this? If its true...then it makes UV sorta useless for planted tanks...as you cant run it if you are trying to maintain proper fert levels...and so you really cant use it for preventing outbreaks.

---------------------------------------------------- Message: 7 Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:15:53 -0400 From: "Daphne Freeman" <daphne_freeman at charter.net> Subject: [APD] UV Sterilizer To: "Aquatic Plants Digest" <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>

Seweryn wrote:
"...correct me if I am wrong, the UV sterilizer is a self-contained unit
which connects to a in or outflow hose, and the sterilization happens
there?"

Seweryn you are absolutely correct. It is a long cylindrical unit with the
bulb inside.  There are 2 types, in-line and hang-on units.  My unit is a
hang-on with a power head driving it.  Something has to be able to squeeze
into the intake of the power head to get into the unit and be exposed to the
UV.

It is an awesome piece of equipment, right up there with sliced bread in
fact!

Daphne

End of Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 2, Issue 44 *********************************************

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com