Re: [APD] RE: EHEIM diatom Filter -- Or - Imputing to impugn intent

--- Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca> wrote:

> I bet that Sharon was objecting to the slightly sarcastic
> answer to
> Seweryn's question.

Hmmm.  I intended a serious response. Of course the remark
about inventing "a resonable diatom filter" was said in
merry sport but it was not directed at Seweryn and was not
intended as the answer -- I immediately went on from there
to offer some things that Seweryn might try.  If Seweryn or
anyone else was offended by that remark, that was not my
intent. But I do wish diatom filters were much better than
they are.

> As for packing the filter box tightly with floss in
> hopes
> that it will
> filter smaller particles, it won't. You were making that
> part up Scott.

Nope. It does indeed filter finer as you pack it more
densely, up to a point, as I said. It's an advantage or
disadvantage depending on what you're trying to accomplish.
And felt, which can be gotten in different grades of
fineness of filtering, can work well too. Of course,
neither does what diatom filtering will do but sometimes
one of them will do the job -- depends on what's mucking up
your water.

Anyhow, I have a spare 2213 and I used to use it
occassionally, filled relatively tightly with just floss
for just that purpose. Why not just use a diatom filter? I
find the 2213 less bother and the diatom filters
unnecessary except for special circumstances.  Some folks
do like to use them occassionally if not regularly if
they've been disturbing the substrate and thereby  bringing
a lot of muck into the water column. They do a good job,
but I find the diatoms a bit of a pain to have to work
with.

Floss was a very inexpensive thing for Seweryn to try to
try and I thought it might be worthwhile given that it was
not clear what the nature of the cloudiness was.

If folks disagree, then it's good that they post so that
Seweryn and others can consider the different info.

Scott H.