RE: [APD] Rocks

Keith writes: "I'm new at this...my first post. I have a 55gal tank and
would like to set a
fair amount of slate rock (30-50lbs) along the back and one side of the
tank. Will I be running into a dangerous weight issue here."

Not a problem with the weight. Can be a problem with concentrated weight in
one small area. If you stack a lot of rocks on top of each other and the
bottom rock is in contact with the bottom glass pane at only  a few very
small points then considerable "point source loading" could stress the
glass enough to break. I always use a piece of scrap acrylic or some kind
of inert foam pieces on the bottom and then stack the rock on top of this.
Get the rockwork laid out then add the base substrate. Won't even know its
there.

---Eric