RE: [APD] Re: HOT Magnum pro system

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com]On Behalf Of Joanne Damon
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 9:35 AM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Cc: joanne000 at webtv_net
Subject: [APD] Re: HOT Magnum pro system

rick wrote:
What's wrong with the Aqua Clear? You don't mention what size tank you
have.

    I really like the AquaClear.. just keeps on running and running.
    What I have now is an AquaClear mini with a large foam prefilter on
a 15 gal heavily planted, heavily stocked ( guppy fry and adult males)
tank.  I have yeast supplied CO2  and onyx substrate with a layer of
peat under it.
  What I am looking for is a larger space to add extra bio material (to
get rid of the large foam prefilter), carbon and peat (I haven't been
able to get my PH below 7.8 even with CO2 because of my tap is high
GH/KH and the onyx is not helping.. and the mini just doesn't have the
space.
   The flow rate is fine on the mini for this tank, I can back it down
for feeding.  There is too much surface disturbance though at high and I
am loosing too much CO2.
  I know the flow rate of the HOT magnum is way to high for this tank.
The long tail guppies have a hard enough time swimming with the mini on
high at 100 g/h.  250 g/h will probable knock them out!!!!!
  What I did like about the HOT magnum over the AquaClear is the off/on
switch ( for feeding), the directional out flow, ( that looks like it
can be directed below the water to avoid surface disturbance???), the
carbon/media container, and that it is self priming....(great for water
changes or in the summer when the electricity goes out and the water
level is too low for the AquaClear to start back up on it's own).

    So what I really need is a reasonably low flow rate, large area for
media, and low surface agitation....any ideas????
    I am leaning toward the AquaClear 200 kept at low (66 g/h),, still
would have surface agitation, but more room for media.
     Oh, one more question.. just for further reference.... with the HOT
magnum, is the carbon/media container and the micron cartridge used at
the same time or is it either/or??  I guess what I want to know is could
it be run for daily use with just the foam and and carbon/media
container?

joanne damon
joanne000 at webtv_net

_
the carbon media container is a separate container in which you pour in the
carbon. The Magnum's come with a foam sleeve which can be used over either
the carbon media container or micron cartridge. I only use carbon  if I have
mediated a tank so do not use the sleeve with it. I have used it both ways
with the micron cartridge. How high can your tap water PH be. I presently
have a heavily planted 33g livebearer tank that I'm using an Aqua Clear 200
and a ATI #3 sponge filter. In my case with 35 tanks I am replacing most of
my Aqua Clears with sponge filters driven by a linear piston pump. I have
DIY CO2 injected into the Aqua Clear intake using 2 x 1 gallon jugs and I
can drop my PH down to 6.8 even with the extra agitation caused by the ATI
sponge. You could use a sponge filter in your 15 g tank (the #3 ATI is rated
for tanks up to 30 gallons) which would provide you a large area for
beneficial bacteria growth coupled with very easy maintenance (rinse it out
once a week in tank water). Hook that up to a air pump with adjustable
pressure setting to reduce surface agitation. Your right about the Magnum
which does have adjustable nozzle which allows you to direct the flow
downwards rather than across the surface of the tank however I do not think
this particular filter would be a good choice for your size tank, the flow
rate is just too high.

Rick