[APD] Re: Digital cameras

Hi Stephan,

For better macro than what the camera can do out of the box, which by the
way is not bad, you just can't use the zoom without the macro rings, you
will need to first buy the lens adapter for the camera, this gives you a
52mm thread for accessories such as lenses and filters. Canon sells it for
around $20 or you can buy it on eBay like I did for about $5 (the A80 uses a
different adapter than the A70 so it may take a few weeks for after market
models to come out). After that you can pretty much screw anything with a
52mm thread in front of the lens. Closeup rings can be found on ebay or just
about anywhere else, they range in price depending on quality, mine are a
$1.50 pickup on eBay, not the best quality but they work well for now. There
are also specific macro lenses. Here's just a quick pick from eBay, I'm sure
you'll find many more if you do a search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957204839&category=15218
(this is the cheap brand I have)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957059868&category=15218
(better quality)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957416148&category=30066
(cheap wide + macro)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2957520252&category=30066
(the A80 adapter)

You're not going to find much if you search for A80 right now because it's
so new, search for A70 accessories, they are the same except for the lens
adapter.

Regarding the remote flash, I use it for other types of photography, have
yet to use it in the fish tank. The best shots I get are without flash, just
the tank lights and correctly set white balance. When shooting the fish, it
just takes a lot of shots to catch a good one when the fish isn't moving.
This shot was taken without a flash:
http://67.89.4.174/aqua/photos/09_2003/img_0158s.jpg

The ones where I did use the flash are obvious because of the dark
background, but I just used the camera's flash at an angle where the
reflection didn't cause a problem:
http://67.89.4.174/aqua/photos/10_2003/img_0516s.jpg
http://67.89.4.174/aqua/photos/10_2003/img_0524s.jpg
I was having a hard time getting a cardinal to sit still so I had to use the
flash. All the other photos are without any flash at all, just a longer
exposure, that's why the fish look a little blury in most. I also turn the
fitler off to stop the plants from moving with the current, along with a
tripod and using the time delay shutter it's difficult not to get a good
shot.

You'll love the camera, just take 100s of shots until you have figured out
what works best for you.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio