[APD] Surface scum

Greetings,

There was some discussion a little while back concerning the most effective method of ridding a tank of surface scum. Someone had suggested  black mollies.

For the past two years or so, I've had a major problem with surface scum, apparently algae,  in my 180 gallon tank. It is lit with 750 watts of metal halide lamps. The scum has been
attenuating the intensity of the light falling on the plants. At 11 p.m. one night last week, I dumped 50 or 60 smallish (3 to 4 cm) platies in the tank and turned out the lights. At
daybreak the next morning  I went to check on the tank. All of the surface algae was gone -completely! I was impressed.

The advantage of the X. variatus is extreme hardiness and adaptability to soft water and temperature fluctuations. The disadvantage is that they multiply quite quickly, and can be elusive in
a heavily planted tank.

My question is how does one catch platies in a large gallon tank?

Regards,