[APD] Re: Digital cameras

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:49:40 +0200
From: "Stephan Mifsud" <valerandi at nextgen_net.mt>
Subject: [APD] Re: Digital cameras
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

I've finally decided that I'm going to buy a good digital
camera, which should also be good for aquarium and macro
photos. I'm thinking of a Canon A70, but there is a large
range of cameras out there, so I would appreciate any
comments before going ahead. What is the usual
specifications of a digital camera suitable for such
photography? Any other models you might suggest? Nikon,
Minolta ?

Many thanks

Stephan

First, zero shutter delay is important if the pictures are to include any fish. That means all point-and-shoot cameras are out. Autofocus and exposure delays must be over-ridden by manual controls, usually.

An external flash connection is a big help. Internal flash just glares off the glass, most of the time. Good flash, well placed, can overcome a lot of lens and sensor inadequacies.

Remote shutter release is also important. In macro, the tiniest shake as the button is depressed will cause terribly blurring. Either an IR remote (that will work from behind the camera), a cable release connection (no digitals seem to have them) or a wired remote are vital elements, missing in most cameras.

A fast lens is a real boon. It lets you work at lower light levels and you can even fuzz out the background somewhat with shallower depth of field. An f#=2 is about as slow as I would want to go. f2.8 in telephoto might be OK, but nothing with any higher minimum numbers.

I'd be inclined to look at the Sony 828 (just out this month) or the Canon Digital Rebel, if you already have Canon EOS lenses.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley -- 760 872-3995 -- Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514

           Mencken's maxim—every election is a sort
             of advanced auction of stolen goods.