RE: [APD] Algee control with carnivorous fish

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com]On Behalf Of nakedboy
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 2:23 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] Algee control with carnivorous fish

I have an arrowana and a blacknife in a lightly planted tank.  The tank
used to have a plecostomas, 2 SAE, and at one point 2 apple snails. but
the plecostomas was eating to many plants and the SAE and snails were eaten.
I have been keeping my eyes out for some full grown SAE but can only
find little ones.

any ideas?

yes buy the little one's , they eat far more algae than a full grown SAE
which can reach a length of 6". SAE's quickly learn to switch to the readily
available food given to the other fish and stop eating algae and a 5 or 6"
SAE consumes a lot of food. We frequently trade our larger SAE's back to the
LFS for a smaller version.

Rick