Re: [APD] empty CO2 cylinder -- tests, acid, and valves

You're lucky about dumping.  Many others have not been so
lucky. You're unlucky about the cost of retesting.

If you're doing tank exchanges, you should never pay for
the retesting and stamping the tank ;-) .

If one hase one's own tank, the cost can vary. It's a
little less than $15 in these parts for a tank that holds
ten-pounds of CO2.  Retesting is required in the US every
five years under DOT regulations.

When CO2 dissolves in water some it forms a parigmatically
mild acid called carbonic acid (H2CO3). It exists in an
equilibrium with water when the CO2 is dissolved in water.
It is not possible to obtain pure carbonic acid.

Any acid on metal can corrode, but I wouldn't call a small
amount of carbonic acid, in solution, "highly corrosive."
Possibly the worst thing about getting water and carbonic
acid in your CO2 tank is not that it's a strong acid but
that it's hard to get out and therefore likely to remain
for a long time.  You pretty much need to remove the main
valve on the CO2 tank to get water out.

Open and shut?  Viscosity might matter but I wonder if a
valve of any kind that is not closed would stop rather than
merely slow the passage of water. A good quality check
valve might be a better idea -- any force that would draw
water towards the CO2 tank would force the check valve
closed, blocking the water flow.

Scott H.