[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 2, Issue 15

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:01:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: Joanne000 at webtv_net (Joanne Damon)
Subject: [APD] Re:Hagen CO2 natural plant system

Hagen system recommends filling
the canister helps with keeping the system working longer... they
recommend filling with sugar, then yeast and stabilizer, then water and
NOT mixing.. I called the company to verify this.

I always mix the contents. The first few cycles I did not mix, and found it took longer for the canisters to start doing anything. Even with the mixing I still get a good 3-4 weeks of CO2, slowing to about 15 bubbles/min. at the end. I don't see that not mixing will make that much difference overall.

About diffuser placement: Put it somewhere easily accessible to you and where plants won't block the bubbles' paths. I tried hiding it in the back behind my crypt forest and found that the bubbles would get blocked at the bottom of the diffuser, so instead of slowly creeping up they would collect in a huge bubble and burp up all at once (not exactly effective...). Now I keep both diffusers stuck on the front glass. Not the most aesthetic, but I can get to them easily to remove snails/debris, and if I want to take pictures or have company over and want to go for the shock and awe, I just take the diffusers out or move them to the sides/back for a few hours.

Laura