[APD] Re: clay balls or jelly balls

Robert H wrote:
"I wasn't aware that clay typically had any significant amount of
potassium."

>From the Jamie S. Jonson article "Substrates for the Planted Aquarium":
http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

One can find that "Finland local clay" (I live in neighbouring Sweden) has
4 times more iron than potassium. Don't know in what form it is in though.

Clay-fertilized newly setup aquariums often get severe thread-algae,
which slowly dissapear as the substrate get iron depleted and the convection
can't shoot up it's poorly balanced nutrients. If it's due to the large
amount
of iron or the fact that it's just poorly balanced for aquatic plants
*shrug*.

// Daniel.