[APD] Re: Hagen CO2 natural plant system

Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 13:58:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: Joanne000 at webtv_net (Joanne Damon)

<snip>
   I did find an old post in the archives posted by Kevin Sheller, for a
recipe to replace the refill packs (see his post  below).  I couldn't
find a reply to his question about the baking soda for a stabilizer.  I
haven't seen baking soda or any type of stabilizer listed as an
ingredient for a DIY system.  Also if anyone has any updates on how they
like or dislike this system or if they have any other advise on using
their own ingredients... I would like to hear any comments.

It is my understanding that the baking soda acts to keep the yeast from producing CO2 too quickly, and thus making the canister cycle for a longer time and helping to prevent the end-of-cycle dump. I could be wrong, though, as I'm fairly new to this.

I started 2 of these systems on my 20gal this spring and have been very pleased with the result. They are easy to use, and my plants look much better for it. They are a nice transition while I save for a "real" CO2 system (which may be awhile, until I pay off all these student loans...).

Laura