The one you describe is called Swen or Gibe depending which AV product you
use.
Symantec has a writeup on it here:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32_swen.a at mm.html
And a removal tool here:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32_swen.a at mm.removal.tool.html

I'm the email admin for an ISP and in the last few weeks i've seen infected
users generate over 40,000 emails a hour from this thing (that's over 6GB of
mail per hour).  It also preys on a M$ Explorer exploit to autorun the code
even without opening the attachment.

If you have even the slightest thought that you may be infected please run
the removal tool.....it only takes a few minutes and may save another poor
email admin somewhere from a few grey hairs.  As always it's a good idea to
keep your system updated with all the latest patches off M$'s windows update
site.

Theother virus out there right now that's causing many ISP's headaches is
Welchia or Nachi.  Guaranteed if you didn't apply M$'s RPC patch to your
system and you don't have a hardware based firewall/router....you're
infected.  Very few people who are infected with this one see any symptoms.
The removal tool is here:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.removal.tool.html
please run it too, but make sure you patch your system first or you'll
simply get reinfected in the time it takes you to clean it and then go to
M$'s site.

I hear our help desk was taking a bunch of calls on a new virus today,
Qhosts, that messes with your DNS settings and apparently prevents access to
M$'s windowsupdate site, but that's another story.....

wishing the world all ran on linux......then i'd have more time to build
enclosures for my PC lights that came in this week from AHS :)
/jon