Re: [APD] Spiral fluorescents -- or - Connecting with electrons canbe a breeze

Some fans are made to run on house current (AC) and some on
DC (using a small transformer that plugs into the house
current).

In either case, the fan will have two wires that need to be
connected to an appropriate power source.

For the DC fans, the two wires can be connected to the
output wires from a small transfer *provided that* the
transformer's output is rated for the same voltage as the
fan and the milliwatt or milliamp rating for the
transformer is as high or higher than that marked on the
fan.  The transformers output voltage and current or
wattage should be printed right on the transformer.

The voltage requirement and amperage that the fans use
should be printed right on the fans.

For AC fans, the two wires need to be connect to wires that
are pluged into a wall socket.  An easy way to do this is
to use a power cord or an extension cord with the socket
end removed.  If the fan has one wire tagged as Hot and/or
one as Neutral, then the HOt one should be connected to the
wire in the power cord that goes to the wide blade on the
cord's plug.  For most small tubeaxial (or muffin) fans,
there is no preference for the two wires.

AC house current packs a dangerous and potentionally lethal
wallop!  All wiring connections must be secure and covered
with a nonconducting material and protected from moisture.
Wire nuts, available at Home Depot, etc, can make for a
strong connection but keep the conections away from water.
For example, if you look at commercially made lights, the
connections are alway behind a plastic panel or inside a
plastic box or in some such way protected from direct
exposure to moisture.

Step by step instructions can guide safely through the
process. *But*, if you are uneasy or unsure about working
with electricity, then don't!

And remember, because your light and related wiring and
connections might get wet from a splash or from a dropped
light, they should be plugged, ultimately, into a GFCI
socket.  The same goes for everything else you have
ultimately plugged into house current that is near water.

Good luck,
Scott H.