[APD] Performing Botany and Taxonomy Research

Hello everyone,

For some unknown reason, I have become interested in this recent discussion
surrounding Gratiola sp. versus Limnophila aromatica and the proper
identification and the process surrounding species description.  I have a
few general questions for those who like to follow this kind of stuff: what
academic journals would have information on new species descriptions that
may be of interest to us?  I have found Aquatic Botany, but almost all
publications in this journal are about marine/estuary plants.  A search for
Ludwigia repens or Hygrophila polysperma in Web of Science database only
yields an article or two, mostly about alleopathy.   Where is taxonomic info
usually published?  And is there a panel of scientist would decide whether a
particular classification is okay?  Is there a standard reference for
aquatic plants, or am I free to believe whoever I think is correct?  Theres
a lot of talk around here of "accepted scientific name" for something, is
that basically what someone like Kasselmann thinks is best for the hobby?

Something frustrating: Kasselmann lists the botantist who submitted the
original type and the year, but these references didn't make it into the
bilbiography of the book... for example, L aromatica is listed as (Lamarck)
Merrill (1917).  How do I find this reference with just an author and year?
How would I find recent updates to the Limnophila genus?

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig
Newark, DE