RE: [APD] Anubias advice

--
Subject: [APD] Anubias advice

Hi ...

of all the aquatic plants in the universe, anubias are my
favorite. But I have a hard time keeping them happy and
alive. The main culprit is algae, particularly spot algae.
But aside from that, anubias just don't seem to grow well
for me (yes, I know they're slow growers but mine barely
grow).

For folks who have successfully grown lush bushes of
Anubias, what kinds of lighting and nutrient conditions do
you have?

Thanks,
	shireen

Hi Shireen.

I have anubias in a number of different tanks both in hard alkaline water
with my African Cichlids and in soft water in my planted, injected community
tank along with a number of 20 gallon species tanks with a variety of
different lighting, ie: 2 x 20g tanks side by side with a double 40 watt
shop light over them, a 20 G, Hagen tank with the standard fluorescent
canopy etc. By far the greatest growth has been in my co2 injected tank (77
g with 160 watts of fluorescent lighting and PMDD added. Of interest is that
at our last Aquarium Society auction a guy brought in anubias that was
flowering. Says it took 3 years but now flowers regularly.

Rick