RE: [APD] Re: Closing up for the night - or Nyctinasty

If this were the case one would think nastic motion would be found in most
plants. The basic biochemical processes are very old and if the energy
saved was great enough to provide a competitive advantage it should be very
wide spread. Plants with very hard or heavy leaves might be excluded. I
wonder if there is any correlation with habitat?

Phil Bunch
Lemon Grove, California

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 15:43, Clint Brearley
[SMTP:clint_brearley at telstra_com] wrote:

> Charley Bay wrote:
> > As far as the biochemical change in plants driving
> > nictinasty, yes, several bioactive substances have
> > been identified that regulate leaf movement, and some
>
> What about this hypothesis. Perhaps during the day, stem plants stretch
out their leaves so that they receive as much light as possible for
photosynthesis. To do this the plants may need to actively transport
biochemicals to certain areas of the leaf in order to make them move (which
uses energy, but the trade-off is that much more energy is gained in return
via photosynthesis). Then when either the plants have gained enough energy
or when the lights go out, which ever occurs first, the plants may stop
transporting the biochemicals causing the leafs to close up, which is
possibly just a lower energy position. This is only speculation, but it
kinda makes some sense (doesn't it?)