RE: [APD] Re: Closing up for the night - or Nyctinasty

I did a little web surfing on nyctinasty. Looks like the mechanism has been
shown to be light related. It appears that the function performed may
differ from species to species. There's a fair amount on the how but not
much on the why. Very little on aquatic plants.

Phil Bunch

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 00:38, Terry G. Stambaugh
[SMTP:tgs1 at rni_net] wrote:
> >. That is called Nyctinasty ( a rythmic diurnal movement).
>

> Interesting.  What triggers this cycle if it's not light?   I know that
in animals various glands or parts of the brain control these rhythms.  A
couple weeks ago, I heard an NPR story that told of recent discoveries in
animals that in addition to these, each organ has its own 'clock', though
they didn't go into what controls it, or even what that 'clock' is.  I
assume there must be some biochemical change in the plant that causes the
leaves to fold up - do we even know what triggers it or what the actual
chemical change is?