Re: [APD] Fw: Small flourescent bulbs

The rating you are referring to is probalby the equivalence
compared to ordianry incandescent lighting.  Since
fluorescents are so much more efficient than incandescents,
you can get the same amount of total light output for about
20-30% of the energy input.  The compact fluorescents that
are spriral or have 3 sets of u-tubes, use a lot of their
light output shining on each other -- in other words the
tubes block a lot of light from each other.  That's one
reason Power compacts and straight tubes can have a much
stronger effective output than those fluoresents meant as
direct replacements for incadescents.  But the repalcements
do indeed give off more light, watt for watt, than
incadescents.

Scott H.