[APD] Closing up for the night (Jason Miller)

Jason Miller wrote;
>   As I am sitting here in front of my tank w. the lights off (it's about
> 11pm), I see all of the stem plants with their leaves raised - like
they've
> closed shop for the night.
>   I've seen this in terrestrial flowers, but don't really notice it in
> terrestrial plants.  I am wondering why the aquatic stem plants do this.
> I'd think they'd stay open so that they can re-absorb the O2, that is
> trapped under the leaves, for respiration.
I have rotalla wallichi and asian ambulia, and currently a new stem plant
that I have not been able to find in any photo and unable to identify, that
all close their tops before lights out. I always assumed that they had had
enough light and so closed after so many hours. Each variety closes the same
time period each night in a given tank. Interestingly, it is different in
different tanks with different lighting periods and setups but the same each
night in the same tank. Don M.

---