Re: [APD] Re: High water evaporation in a planted aquarium -- or WhoChanged the Water?

The water change methods are practical and sucessful -- I
use one or two of them myself  -- One or two?  Well it
depends on how to differentiate one method from another.

But no-water-change (or more accurately,
prolonged-deferred-water-change) methods can be done
sucessfully too.  Just listen to or read some of those that
have done it, Diana Walstad's account being the most
comprehensively written and, imo, authoritative.

You don't need pure H2O to make it work, you probably don't
need RO to make it work -- of course, if you have
abnormally high evaporation rates, then that taxes the
top-off methodologies.

Large frequent water changes add lots of "forgiveness" to
you aquatic system.  Slow growth systems do the same thing
in a different way.  But, by golly, they are both practical
and the slow grows are, for me, much easier to pull off.

Sunken gardens are a lot like terrresterial above-water
gardens -- lots of ways to grow successfully -- certainly
more ways than you can count on one hand.

I would guess that most of the practical ways for keeping
freshwater fish tanks can be applied or adapted to growing
plants.

As for completely closed synthetic ecological systems,
well, even the humans snuck out for pizza, didn't they?
;-)

And while we're off the subject ;-), I'm amazed that no one
has actually offered data on water in a bucket instead of
hypotheses about what the data would be --  This has been
going on (or off and on) for years.  It's a paradigm of
nonscience on APD and yet it's one of the easier to answer
of all the empirical questions ever posed on APD.  I'll
wager that the master of bucket gardening, Ricky Cain,
knows the answer and laughs like Santa in December when he
reads the hypostheses.

I once worked as a tilesetter and that line of work
involves putting water in buckets.  So I know the answer
too, don't you?

At times like these, thinking fondly of the G. E. Moore and
John Austin,
Scott H.