RE: [APD] IceCap ballasts -- or - A surge of current interest

Where i live they've done a pretty good job of protecting
us from lighting effects in the power wires.  In effect,
they've put srge suppresors on the the trunk lines.  Now we
get momemtary blackouts instead of long term burnouts.

Remember to replace your surge protectors often if they
rely on metal oxide varistors (MOVs) for suppression --
Most of them do if they cost less than about a $100.

These devices can only suffer a few surges before they
become useless.  The higher the surge, the few the number
of times they can handle surges.  If you're getting zings
strong enough to metal fuseholders, the MOVs are probably
good for a half dozen jolts at most. They don't always show
that they are no longer effective, evn if you open up the
surge suppressors and visually inspect the things.

The advantage of MOVs is that they work (a limited number
of times) and only cost pennies to make.

Scott H.
--- "LeDeaux, David" <David_LeDeaux at tripointglobal.com>