Re: [APD] Re: CO2 off at night

gbooth at frii_com at gbooth at frii_com wrote:

> John T. Fitch wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but this is not what happens in my tank.  At night, when there is
>> no CO2 added to my tank, the pH does *not* go "up as CO2 diffuses out of
>> the tank."  The pH goes down from 6.9 (my controller set point) to 6.7 or
>> 6.6.  How would this be possible if the *net* flow of CO2 is out of the
>> tank?
>
> I can't explain this.

I wonder if this could happen in a heavily planted tank with a relatively
airtight hood/lid, with relatively small air space, and a heavy fish load,
thereby creating a situation where nighttime CO2 production is greater than
loss from the tank, but daytime CO2 consumption slightly exceeds supplement
+ production.

Dan Dixon