[APD] Plantlets on Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv'

I mail-ordered some Microsorum pteropus 'Windeløv' back in June. What I
received was two rhizome segments, one with two leaves and one with only one
leaf. Three months later, the rhizome with one leaf is just starting to put out
leaf #2. My Anubias are sprinters compared to this guy.

However, in the past week all three old leaves are developing healthy-looking,
rapidly growing plantlets on their ends. The leaves on these plantlets are well
over an inch old. Since 'Windeløv' propagates true, and the pathetic growth of
the mother plants, I'm seriously thinking about chucking the old rhizomes and
growing the plantlets instead.

So I have two questions:
1) Am I being hasty here? Are these plants likely to pick up the pace? Or would
a new plant with several leaves be expected to quickly catch up to some poor
deracinated one- or two-leaf cuttings?

2) What's the best size at which to remove these plantlets from the mother? Is
there any special approach to avoid leaf damage?

Thanks,
Jim Seidman