RE: [APD] onyx sand and gravel

Oh, it depends.  I don't suggest it as a general thing, but
sometimes, in a planted tank, especially with driftwood,
high fish load, the detritus can build up an intense
vacuuming can be in order, at least in the "trouble spots"
where the detritus tends to collect.

You don't have to suck up all the plant roots to mix up the
substrate well ;-) .  Of course, if your substrate is
pretty much covered over with plants, then there is nowhere
to deep vacuum, but then, stratification isn't gong to show
either ;-)  .

Also, some folks like to replant their tank an area at a
time every so often and do a very thorough vacuuming in the
area when the old plants are out and before the new ones
are in.

Scott H.